Of Life and Death

With all the hoopla given to the "life" and death of Terri Schiavo, I can't help but give my opinion. This topic hits near my heart having lost my baby in quite a similar way.

***

I just watched the news and saw actress Patricia Heaton(Everybody Loves Raymond) teary-eyed saying "I would never kill my child. I would never starve my child." I believe her. I too would say that. I will never ever kill my child. But then again, you're saying that right now while your children are still healthy. You can never put yourself in somebody else's position unless you're in the same position because the emotions will never be the same. You could never be as realistically empathethic to anybody's feelings. You can only imagine. That said, you can never judge other people's decisions who are in that kind of situation. You can never assume that you would be able to take it the way you ideally want it to. You only know when you're in it. You can only hope it won't happen to you.

***

This issue brings back the memory of Ashley. And the more I think about it now, the more I knew I made the right decision. Sometimes, you just have to do what you've got to do. Sometimes, you just have to accept things as they are without questions. Sometimes, you just have to let go.

***

So when can we say that a person is dying? When can we say a person is dead? The problem with today is that there has been too much advancement in science that you don't know anymore the real state of death. When does death really happen? When your heart stops beating? When your brain stops functioning? If I were Terri, from the time I was declared a veggie, I would have asked someone to kill me. The last thing I want is somebody worrying about me and wasting time taking care of me when I'm already dead as far as knowing I don't even know if I'm still alive or what.

0 comments: