for Aelred

18th October 2004: Kionisala-Espina Nuptial. Below is my message for Red to be read by Diane on her wedding day. (Today is already the 18th in the Philippines.)

Huiiii!!

Hi Red. I know this should have been a video message but my cam didn't work. Talk about timing there. Instead, I'm asking Diane to read this message for you.

I don't know how to start this. A nice message for you? Like a Friendster testimonial? =)

What can I say of a friend who defines the word? I have always thought that to define you would be to limit you. It's because of you that I've had some of my best laughs, cried hard tears with, experienced frustrations and finally, grow up. You may not know it but I learned a lot from you - how to handle people, problems and most especially, my faith.

When you told me that you're getting married, I was initially shocked. Shocked because I didn't think you would decide something as serious as marriage instantly. But then again, knowing you, the shock subsided. You always made quick decisions when you know you're doing the right thing and when you're sure of everything. So I knew you were sure. It's only when you're not sure that it takes forever for you to decide.

Remember what I told you before about the other guys? That they don't deserve you? It wasn't to ease your heart when they hurt you. They really didn't deserve you. I have always thought that someone better is coming. Someone who will actually be deserving of who you are, of what you are, of what you are capable of giving. I don't know Archie much, but based on our only conversation, and from all your stories of him, I believe he's good. Besides, I have always trusted your judgment. And I'm really happy that you've found your man, yours and yours only.

We have been friends for quite some time now. Sharing many good times, as well as some bad. Bashing the men who hurt us. Cheering each other when down. Let me then take this opportunity to thank you for everything. For always being there when I needed someone to talk to. I can be sure that if I ever want to talk to somebody, you're always there, even at the most unholy hours. You have always been my sounding board. We may be thousands of miles away from each other but distance has never kept us apart. You are always there for me, especially during the low times, and never getting tired of listening. You are the best friendship I have ever experienced. What we have is a pretty testament that friendship requires no length of time and no distance to be true and wonderful. I am really grateful for the privilege of having you as my friend.

Red, I will surely miss the old times - the inuman, the dancing in the room, the movie marathons, the coffee talks, the bedtime conversations. But I am just so happy for you now to think of that. To the both of you, I wish you strength as you pass through each storm with God's tender mercy to help you. May you two always stay the best of friends. Best wishes! I'll talk to you soon.

0 comments: